Thursday, December 17, 2009

"Return to Me..."

With all that is going on in America today...
- economic uncertainty
- the housing crisis
- the healthcare debacle
- celebrity and political scandals
- broken families
- continual depletion of moral influence on the internet, in the movies, on the television, in the music industry, etc.
- increasing hostility toward the Christian faith
- declining attendance in evangelical churches

It is no wonder that we are in a mess! So, do we throw up our hands and say, "It is what it is"? Or, do we try to find the answers in our government leaders, our school administration, our family? Or, do we drown our stress in the next drink, or smoke, or other object of habit?

OR...we could turn to God's Word. In Amos (which I just completed in my 'Read the Bible in a Year'), God said, "I gave you empty stomachs...yet you have not returned to me...I witheld rain from you...yet your have not returned to me...Locusts devoured your crops...yet you have not returned to me...You were like a burning stick snatched from the fire, yet you have not returned to me." (Amos 4:6-11)

God's admonition for his children 2700 years ago through that prophet is appropriate for us in America in 2009...we need to return to God. We need to do it individually, within the church, and within our communities.

How are you building community? How are you making yourself available to be used by God in His kingdom? Are you investing and inviting into the lives of others?

Make 2010 a year we all RETURN TO THE LORD!

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment