Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Spiritual Practice

I remember when I was a kid, my Dad used to say, "Practice makes perfect." As I would move from one sports season to the next (I tried a stint at saxophone in the 3rd grade but it was a train wreck!), I would here that same mantra from every coach. Whether it's baseball, football or basketball...or saxophone or dancing or art or learning a new language - practice does count.

It is no different in Christianity! Paul encouraged Timothy:

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." (1 Timothy 4:8)

and...

"Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." (1 Corinthians 9:25)

What does that practice look like? What is the strict training that Paul is referencing? The answer is training in righteousness:

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16)

Therefore, part of the DNA of C3 is that all covenant partners are expected to be students of the Bible. In the book "Essential Church," Thom Rainer and his son Sam interviewed a young man who was strongly connected to his church. He said, "...the church should only be a supplement to a personal time of prayer and Bible study."

And THEN this young man said, "The Word is so much a part of my life that studying it has become a life priority for me. And when I am dealing with tough decisions or life-changing situations, I can always remember something I have studied in Scripture to help me know how to deal with anything."

He added, "And none of my studies in the Bible have ever told me to take a break from church. To the contrary, I realize that I need the church more than ever."

WOW! Never could I have said it better. Spiritual practice begins with a daily time in God's Word, asking Him to fill you with wisdom, knowledge and truth!

Study hard, because practice makes perfect!

Randy

1 comment: