Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Do you want to know the heart of Christ? You can...

One of the more compelling and moving and inspiring events in all of Scripture is the Upper Room Discourse. Now, most Christians have no idea what that is, so let me explain. John 13-17 gives us one of the fullest expressions of the heart of Christ as He offers His final teaching to His disciples prior to His arrest, trials, and crucifixion.

As one scholar put it, "If you think of the Scriptures as the Temple of God, this passage would be “the Holy of Holies”... the Inner Sanctuary, where the very presence of God, Himself, dwells." (Net Bible Study) These 4 chapters contain some of the most powerful memory verses to sustain the Christian throughout his life; I counted in my personal study Bible and found that I have 16 verses/groups of verses highlighted in yellow - all of them key memory verses. For example:

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:34-35)

"Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command." (John 15:13-14)

"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth." (John 16:13)

"In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you." (John 17:20-21)

My challenge to you this week, as we approach Sunday on which we will study Day 5 - Thursday - The Last Supper - The Lord's Passover, is to read these 4 chapters and take in the very heart of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! His eternal words will convict you, challenge you, and comfort you as you seek to serve Him with all that you are!

Pastor Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment