Thursday, February 24, 2011

Are you in Control?

Some people are "control freaks." Some might even place me in that category. I work very hard not to control EVERYTHING! LOL. That said, some people have no control. They struggle to be in control of their emotions, their attitudes, their behaviors, their relationships, their finances, their future, you name it. They look around for someone, anyone to help them out, to bail them out, to sort them out, but alas, to no avail. Why?

The Bible declares a fruit of the Spirit is self-control. The term is not used very much outside of that one verse from Galatians, but it is implied a lot. The punchline for this topic is found in this truth: Godly self-control comes from God, just like every other fruit of the Spirit. The source of these attributes is God and without a full, vibrant, daily surrender of the flesh to the Spirit's power, no Christian can exercise the fruit of the Spirit.

So, the question remains: How do I exercise self-control? Let Him who is in you BE greater than He that is in the world. Paul challenged himself and all Christians with this word: "I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualifed for the prize." (1 Cor. 9:27)

Just as we engage our bodies in physical discipline in order to remain fit and healthy, so we must also engage our spirits in spiritual fitness...Sound Familiar?

pastor randy

No comments:

Post a Comment